The ministry of Tazewell Presbyterian Church (TPC) began in 1850 in the home of Mrs. Amanda Cox on Main Street. The Rev. Isaac Newton Naff commissioned and sent by the American Missionary Society to “Publish the gospel at Jeffersonville, Thompson Valley and various destitute places in Tazewell County, Virginia,” was the minister.
Today, some 162+ years later, we are a church full of history and deeply connected to the Tazewell community. Our ministries extend to local, regional and global areas of need and we are a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). One of our greatest assets is our music program including all ages from youth to adult which is an integral part of our weekly services and special occasions throughout the year.
- Beautiful accommodating church sanctuary illuminated by sunlight through magnificent vintage stained-glass windows and modern adjustable chandelier lighting, with adjacent narthex, chapel, and balcony with a total seating capacity of 300 guests
- Well-ventilated and climate-controlled
- State of the art sound system in the sanctuary includes wireless hearing assistance for the hearing impaired and is connected to speakers in the kitchen and nursery areas
- Chancel area includes the pulpit, choir seating, pipe organ, and piano
- Handicap accessible: Ramp, elevator, and sanctuary space for wheel chair
- Comfortable and spacious meeting rooms
- Multiple restrooms, including handicapped accessible family restroom
- Spacious kitchen with pantry and serving counter
- Fellowship Hall with French doors opening to the backyard and a landscaped stone patio with benches
- Pre-School classroom with adjoining private restroom
- Multiple Sunday School classrooms
- Access to our private playground with play equipment
- Nursery rooms for infants up to toddlers with private bathroom, tables, rocking chair, cribs, and toys
- Comfortable, quiet library with large assortment of books
- Music and Choir room
- Elevator provides access to all levels of the church
- Designated handicapped parking adjacent to the church on West Pine Street with a wheelchair ramp
- Handicapped accessible bathroom on the ground floor of the church
- State of the art sound system in the sanctuary includes wireless hearing assistance for the hearing impaired
- We have our own private parking lot directly in front of the church at the corner of Church and Pine Streets.
- Marked Handicapped spots adjacent to the church on West Pine Street
- Additional parking on Sunday mornings is up and down Church Street including a concrete sidewalk
Reservation of Multifunctional Facilities
Tazewell Presbyterian Church offers varied multifunctional facilities. Anyone wishing to use these facilities whether they are church members, non-members, or organizational groups must ask the permission of the Tazewell Presbyterian Church Property Committee and get additional approval for the request by the Session of Tazewell Presbyterian Church. All activities and programs must be included on the church calendar to avoid conflicts. For more information regarding the usage of church facilities, please contact the church office at (276) 988-4724.
Directions to TPC:
Tazewell Presbyterian Church is located at the corner of Church and Pine just off the West End of Tazewell’s Main Street behind the United Methodist Church. If coming from the Tazewell Avenue / East Fincastle Turnpike direction bear right on to Church Street as Fincastle becomes Main Street. If coming from the Frog Level / Fairgrounds area, go to the far end of Main Street and turn left while facing the Tazewell Historical Society.