The ministry of Tazewell Presbyterian Church (TPC) began in 1850 in the home of Mrs. Amanda Cox on Main Street. The Rev. Isaac Newton Naff commissioned and sent by the American Missionary Society to “Publish the gospel at Jeffersonville, Thompson Valley and various destitute places in Tazewell County, Virginia,” was the minister.
Today, some 162+ years later, we are a church full of history and deeply connected to the Tazewell community. Our ministries extend to local, regional and global areas of need and we are a member of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). One of our greatest assets is our music program including all ages from youth to adult which is an integral part of our weekly services and special occasions throughout the year.
The Main Floor
- Beautiful church sanctuary with adjacent narthex, chapel, and balcony with a seating capacity of 300 guests
- State of the art sound system in the sanctuary includes wireless hearing assistance for the hearing impaired and is connected to speakers in the kitchen and nursery areas
- Chancel area includes the pulpit, choir seating, pipe organ, and piano
- Elegant ladies’ parlor with adjoining private bathroom
- Secretary’s office with Wired and Wireless Internet Access
- Men’s Sunday School room
- Elevator Access
The Ground Floor
- Newly remodeled spacious kitchen with pantry and serving counter
- Fellowship Hall with French doors opening to the backyard and a landscaped stone patio with benches
- Pre-School classroom with adjoining private bathroom
- Sunday School classrooms for Grade School, Senior High and Mixed Adults
- Access to our private playground with play equipment
- Handicapped accessible family bathroom
- Mens and Womens multi-person Bathrooms
- Various storage areas and cleaning supply closets
- Elevator Access
- Wireless Internet Access
The Third Floor
- Offices for the Minister and Program Coordinator with Wired Internet Access
- Nursery rooms for infants up to toddlers with private bathroom, tables, rocking chair, cribs, and toys
- Comfortable, quiet library with large assortment of books
- Music and Choir room
- Junior High and Pre-School Sunday School classrooms
- Elevator Access
- Family Bathroom
- Our Elevator provides access to all levels of the church
- There is designated Handicapped parking adjacent to the church on West Pine Street with a wheelchair ramp
- The Handicapped accessible bathroom is located on the ground floor of the church
- Our state of the art sound system in the sanctuary includes wireless hearing assistance for the hearing impaired
- We have our own private parking lot directly in front of the church at the corner of Church and Pine Streets.
- There are marked Handicapped spots adjacent to the church on West Pine Street
- Additional parking on Sunday mornings is up and down Church Street which does include a concrete sidewalk
The Tazewell Presbyterian Church offers varied multifunctional facilities. Anyone wishing to use these facilities whether they are church members, non-members, or organizational groups must ask the permission of the Tazewell Presbyterian Church Property Committee and get additional approval for the request by the Session of Tazewell Presbyterian Church. All activities and programs must be included on the church calendar to avoid conflicts. For more information regarding the usage of church facilities, please contact the church office at (276) 988-4724.
Directions to TPC:
Tazewell Presbyterian Church is located at the corner of Church and Pine just off the West End of Tazewell’s Main Street behind the United Methodist Church. If coming from the Tazewell Avenue / East Fincastle Turnpike direction bear right on to Church Street as Fincastle becomes Main Street. If coming from the Frog Level / Fairgrounds area go to the far end of Main Street and turn left while facing the Tazewell Historical Society.